Tuesday 20 March 2012

Shibori pleating





I'm not sure if this is the correct term for the technique but I used the Japanese 'Shibori' technique to set a texture in a piece of chiffon.

This initial piece is purely a sample to see how it could be produced on a larger scale if I wanted to within a final garment.

I tied stones into small pockets of fabric and bound together with string. I then made a steamer on my stove and placed the fabric inside and covered with a lid.

I steamed the fabric for 20 minutes and then left for 4 hours to go completely cold and dry.

After cutting out the string and removing the stones I am pleased with how this turned out. Whilst I like the texture of this fabric and how it relates to my brief I think that it could be difficult to manipulate in terms of a fashion garment.

Keep checking back to see if this technique makes it into my final collection!!

2 comments:

  1. What kind of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you steamed it, did you use any water at all?

    ReplyDelete